Conference » 18 May 2016 in Madrid, Spain
Conference on Migration and Refugees Policy in Madrid
This event offered important insights into the current migration policy crisis in Europe, and more specifically about systematic problems affecting the refugees and asylum seekers. It provided a multitude of perspectives on the situation coming from experts working in immigration services, NGO professionals active in this field, along with local and regional politicians. The programme of this one-day event includde workshops and discussions, with topics detailed below.
11:30 to 14:00 Workshop (Invitation Only)
It served as a meeting place where the experts responsible for immigration and refugees told about their experiences in this field and the problems they come across in order to carry out the work of reception and integration of refugees. Through these shared experiences we tried to find channels of practical action that can be implemented within the competence of governments on national, regional and local levels.
Moderated by: Marta Carballo
- Ione Belarra (Podemos national MP) who exposed the role of the Spanish government in this crisis, focusing on the management and implementation of their commitments, along with the analysis of reception and access to asylum in Spain.
- Estrella Galán (CEAR Secretary General) who made a summary of the current refugee situation in Spain, and the role of NGOs;
- Manuel Soria (Activist and Member of EQUO political party) who reflected on the aspects of integration policies and immigrant and refugee reception from his experience in the cities of Ceuta and Melilla.
17:00 to 19:00 The European Dis-unity on Refugees
This roundtable dealt with the shift of European policy in regards to the asylum and refugees. Furthermore, it provided a discussion amongst prominent NGO experts on the agreements with developing countries, with particular relevance of the EU-Turkey deal and its consequences.
Moderated by: Cecilia Carballo (President of EQUO Foundation)
- Maria Giovanna Manieri (Political Advisor on Migration and Asylum for the Greens/EFA group in the European Parliament);
- Sagrario Martín (President of Doctors of the World Spain)
- Joaquín Nieto (Director of the International Labour Organisation in Spain).
19:00 to 20:00 Fortress Europe or Open Europe?
This session presented the experiences and perceptions of society towards migration and refugees, the treatment by the media and its influence within society. The campaign “Do not be entangled” was also presented.
Moderated by: Reyes Montiel (EQUO Foundation)
- Sergio de Otto (Communication Expert);
- Manolo Soria (Activist and EQUO Melilla Spokesman);
- Rosabel Argote (CEAR Euskadi) who will presentation of the campaign “Do not be entangled”.
LOCATION: Centro Cultural Galileo - C/Galileo 39, Madrid, Spain
For further information head over to EQUO event page.